Ever heard the tale of Daniel in the Lion’s Den? Last night it was SFoM in the Lion’s Lair. Not because the stories of Daniel and SFoM match up, but because it sounds bad ass to say that.
We were like this last night... except with instruments.
We tamed the lions in their lair with our three main implements of rock: bass, guitar and drums. We also weirded the lions out with the Kaossilator. This weird little yellow thing Matty manipulates between songs.
The night started off with The Blackhounds, a modern southern rock outfit from North Carolina. They were great.
Following them was The Worth. They are one of the most intense local acts I’ve seen since The Stuntdoubles. Powerful metal riffs and shout-screaming whipped the crowd into a frenzy.
We had our work cut out for us after the warm-up the crowd got from those two bands. There was a man at the bar during our setup that kept shouting that the music made him “want to kill and everything.” We didn’t want that to happen… but we also didn’t want this crowd (metaphorical lions) to turn on us.
We setup fast, turned up loud, and blistered through a real rager of a set for 70 mins. We were all blinded by sweat and exhausted by the end. This might’ve been our finest performance to date.
- Opening with back-to-back instrumentals
- Just playing LOUD
- Hearing people describe us as “Amazing”
- Learning that the Lion’s Lair has been voted Best Jukebox in Denver through Westword.
- Getting to hear “Raw Power” by The Stooges and “Pusher Man” by Curtis Mayfield on that Jukebox
- Getting turned onto The Worth and The Blackhounds. Two awesome bands.
- Our most faithful fans, and their photography
- Finding good parking
- Headlining The Lion’s Lair.
Make sure you check us out next time we come around. Check out our music here
, or at last.fm
. Also, come to our shows, buy a shirt and CLOTHE YOUR CHILDREN!! No more burlap sacks for them at school! They’ll look flashy in their SFoM gear, and they’ll become popular – the most important thing about getting an education.
Here are some photos. Enjoy!
Breton preparing for the set by receiving his ritual cockpunching from Matty
There we are...
The Lion's Lair
Brainstorming a Rager
It’s Friday night! Come on down to Denver tonight: SFoM headlines the world famous Lions Lair! 2022 E. Colfax, Denver. That’s right, they will be talking about this show in places as remote as Eritrea for decades to come.
Why will they remember this, you might ask…. because of music like “Snake Song.” . We’re gonna blow peoples minds. Anything can happen – it’s on Colfax.
$5 – doors open at 9 TONIGHT, July 8, 2011. We’ll have some free CDs to grab, as well as some shirts and hats. We’ve got The Blackhounds straight outta North Carolina starting the night off, and after them is The Worth.
Check us out on Last.fm! Make sure you add us to your TuneViper list!
Much thanks and love to C4x for inviting us to play Lion’s Lair with them last night. We had a great time, and the “essence” of the bar, as our friend Brian called it, really brought out the best of the SFoM sound for the loyal fans who came to rock with us.
A rare Velvet Elvis on display at Lion's Lair
Lion’s Lair is an unrepentant dive bar. No goofy crap on the walls or bright neon signs to distract you. There is a bar, some taps, some liquor bottles and a stage. People who go to Lion’s Lair go there for music and booze. That’s all there is. The people there last night were there to have a good time, and they most certainly did. At least that’s the impression I got from all the hootin’ and a-hollerin’ during our set.
Some of the evening’s highlights:
- Our set ROCKED, and the reaction we got from the crowd was priceless.
- “Tell Me” was a little messy, since we never played it that way before, but we summoned something primordial with it… and it was good.
- I got three free beers.
- The men’s room had a trough.
- We got to see some old familiar faces, and a few special new faces.
- C4x also had a great set.
- It was windy and cold outside…actually, that wasn’t a highlight.
- Our first all-original set of the year.
2011 is gonna be the year of the SFoM on the Chinese Zodiac. Look for it on place mats at Chinese restaurants everywhere! Hey, if the regular zodiac can change, so can the Chinese one, right? It’s science!
We got some tentative dates lining up. We’ll keep you posted! Can’t wait to see you again!
Saturday night, 9 pm! SFoM will take the stage at the world-renowned Lion’s Lair in Denver! All original rock set – come down and hear some new songs, and get yourself a free CD with four recently-recorded tracks. Also, we got shirts, hats, stickers, key chains and pins to adorn yourself with. Hope to see you all there! It’ll be a good time.
With C4X and Quick Victim.
What an AWESOME night at Ned’s tonight! Packed house, everyone was in a good mood, great feedback from the crowd.
First gig of 2011, and we’re off to a fantastic start. We came out and played some new covers really tightly, and we hit our stride on all the standard stuff. We may not have played out in about a month, but we’ve been practicing. Some highlights:
- Loving Cup was fairly represented by us for the first time.
- Some guy kept yelling at us to play some Merle Haggard.
- It was Rhonda’s birthday… also MLK’s.
- We were told we have our own style on the covers we play.
- Everyone was in a great mood and friendly. The surly folk must’ve stayed home.
- Matty had a new drum setup.
- We got to hand out our CDs, and people were chasing us down after the set for them.
Being off to such a start just raises our confidence that much more for next Saturday’s show at The Lion’s Lair in Denver. Come check us out! We’ll be jammin’ a forty-five minute rock set, so we’ll be coming right out to melt faces, and we’ll hang out after the show. Also, I’ll be unveiling my authentic Japanese headband.